Logo

CS.RIN.RU - Steam Underground Community

Make sure the URL in your address bar starts with the correct domain!
It is currently Tuesday, 25 Sep 2018, 20:56

English | Русский

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Post Post subject: Spectre microcode "fix" WARNING   
Posted: Monday, 16 Apr 2018, 15:22   Reply with quote
Advanced forumer Завсегдатай
According to prema from notebookreview.com
the intel spectre fix can brick your cpu and does more harm then good.
Even intel themselfs removed the microcode update but a lot of sites still claim you need a microcode fix for spectre additionally to the os fix, whichis not true.
[[Please login to see this link.]]

Post Post subject: Re: Spectre microcode "fix" WARNING   
Posted: Monday, 16 Apr 2018, 19:06   Reply with quote
Administrator
What if you don't use Windows 10 or latest linux kernel? You need the fix in hardware then, don't you..

For questions and concerns regarding forum policy, contact a moderator first. I may not always reply to such PMs.

Bookmark this to stay informed during downtimes: [[Please login to see this link.]]

Posted: Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018, 18:12   Reply with quote
RessourectoR wrote:
What if you don't use Windows 10 or latest linux kernel? You need the fix in hardware then, don't you..

The brick(cant get to bios/boot) only happens if you have already a patched os and install additionaly the microcode fix. If you have an os that is not spectre save the microcode patch is safe.

Posted: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018, 20:08   Reply with quote
Administrator
My point was that a lot of mainboard vendors still haven't provided updates for older boards. :/

For questions and concerns regarding forum policy, contact a moderator first. I may not always reply to such PMs.

Bookmark this to stay informed during downtimes: [[Please login to see this link.]]

Posted: Thursday, 19 Apr 2018, 09:51   Reply with quote
RessourectoR wrote:
My point was that a lot of mainboard vendors still haven't provided updates for older boards. :/

I guess i have good news for you if youre on an older windows, according to Kaspersky micro$oft rolled also out spectre patches for all windows version(7, 8, 8.1, and server variations) [[Please login to see this link.]]
But yes for the xp/legacy users, there is no solution.

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 01:03   Reply with quote
Administrator
I cannot confirm that and I do not know how you came to that conclusion. Your link doesn't even mention Spectre.

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 05:18   Reply with quote
Sorry i had the original link in another language the english version doesnt mention the spectre or the update namens, but there are spectre patches by ms for win 8/7
namely
Win 8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2— KB4056898 (issued 1/3/18)
Update that disables Intel's Spectre variant 2 mitigation (which has caused issues) — KB4078130 (issued 1/27/18)
Windows 8 and Server 2012 — KB4088877 (issued 3/13/18)
Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 — KB4088879 (issued 3/13/18)
Win 7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 — KB4056897 (Security only, issued 1/3/18)
Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 — KB4056894 (Monthly rollup, issued 1/4/18)
Update that disables Intel's Spectre variant 2 mitigation (which has caused issues) — KB4078130 (issued 1/27/18)
NOTE: If you've installed any January, February, or March updates for Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 machines, install KB4100480 (issued 3/29/18) now. It's an out-of-band update addressing a critical vulnerability (CVE-2018-1038) introduced by previous updates.

Source is from here

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 05:52   Reply with quote
Administrator
That article confirms that Spectre v2 is still only patched in Windows 10 as of now. But it also says MS is working on patches for other Windows versions. My usual news sources have not claimed this so far and there's also no source cited for it, but I guess there's still hope.
From what I gathered today, hardware vendors (mainboards, notebooks) are expected to make more patches available in the next 2-3 months.. I'll just take whichever is first.

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 09:42   Reply with quote
According to the ms update catalog theyre are out an ready for download(Win 8 )

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 13:14   Reply with quote
Administrator
These only address Meltdown and Spectre variant 1. It's in the article. If you run inSpectre for example, it will show that the PC is not yet protected.

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 13:48   Reply with quote
Common sense is lacking these days
Quote:
inSpectre

Forza Mods Subreddit: [[Please login to see this link.]]

"Blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, red as a beet, hot as Hades, dry as a bone, the bowel and bladder lose their tone, and the heart runs alone."

Posted: Friday, 20 Apr 2018, 18:49   Reply with quote
Im sorry there was a misunderstanding from my side, ive never heard from inSpectre before ^^
@umisery thabks for the link

Posted: Friday, 18 May 2018, 15:35   Reply with quote
A+
capo wrote:
Even intel themselfs removed the microcode update but a lot of sites still claim you need a microcode fix for spectre additionally to the os fix, whichis not true.

You do need the microcode update if you want to be safe from Spectre. Meltdown and one form of Spectre can be mitigated by the OS (and any application that processes untrusted code, e.g. a browser with its JavaScript engine), but the more complicated variant of Spectre uses a branch prediction training that the system patch does not cover. This is precisely what the microcode update adds. You can see how the protection status of your system is using various tools, for Windows, Microsoft has provided a PowerShell module, see [[Please login to see this link.]]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]